What isn't covered by homeowners insurance?

Understanding your homeowners insurance coverage is important. Why? Because even the best home insurance policy won't cover everything.

Frequently asked questions about what isn't typically covered by home insurance

Is coverage for earthquakes included in my home insurance policy?

No. Earthquakes are a specific type of natural disaster that are typically excluded from a standard home insurance policy due to their unique risks and potential for extensive damage

Depending on your location, you may need to purchase a separate earthquake insurance policy or endorsement to ensure you are protected. If you live in an area prone to sinkholes or landslides, it's also important to check your home insurance policy to understand specific coverage options related to these natural disasters. Additional coverage for these damages are typically available under a separate insurance policy or policy addendum.

Flood waters damaged my home. Will I have coverage under my home insurance policy?

No, most homeowners insurance policies don't cover water damage caused by weather like

  • Heavy rainfall

  • Overflowing creeks or rivers

  • Other flooding


Flood coverage is generally provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). You can buy this flood coverage through a partnership with your insurance company.

What about water damage not caused by a flood or other natural disaster? Will my home insurance cover this type of loss?

Most home insurance policies exclude water damage losses that are a direct result of

  • Backed-up sewer lines or drains

  • An overflowing sump pump

At Liberty Mutual, you can add optional coverages for damages like these called Water Backup Coverage. We can help you get the homeowners insurance you need at a great price.

A pipe in my home burst, causing water damage to my home and personal property. Will my home insurance cover my repairs and replace my belongings?

Yes, most standard home insurance policies cover damages caused by sudden and unexpected water damage. This can include a burst pipe, ruptured water heater, or other plumbing malfunctions.

Please note, most homeowners policies exclude damage to your home if the water damage is due to a home maintenance issue. For example, not repairing a leaky pipe that eventually bursts may not be covered. For all losses, a claims adjuster will review any damage and determine the cause.

Keep in mind that only the damage caused by the water will typically be covered - not the cost to replace the burst or leaking pipe.

Will my home policy cover jewelry that is stolen or lost?

Yes, up to certain amount. Standard homeowners policies include coverage for jewelry if it's lost, stolen, or damaged due to a covered peril. This can include things like fire or theft. However, home insurance only covers jewelry up to a certain amount and may not be enough to cover the full value.

To properly insure your jewelry, you may want to consider buying additional coverage. Most insurance companies offer additional coverage for jewelry that can be added to your homeowners policy.

Is insect damage covered by my home insurance policy?

Standard home insurance won't cover damages caused by insects like termites and bees. This can also include damages caused by animals like rats, mice, and bats.

Will my home insurance policy provide coverage for my home-based business?

No, home insurance isn't made to cover a home business. Therefore, things like personal liability for a home business wouldn't be covered.

If you have a home business, you should look into adding a business insurance policy so you're covered. At Liberty Mutual, we can help you get the business insurance you need at a great price.

My roof is leaking. Will my home insurance help cover the costs of repairing or replacing my roof?

Yes, most standard home insurance covers the cost of roof repairs due to roof leaks and other roof damage caused by a covered loss.

However, roof damage from general wear and tear or lack of proper home maintenance typically won't be covered by a home insurance policy. To determine if you have a covered roof damage claim, contact your insurance company.

Will my home insurance policy cover losses due to natural disasters?

No, most standard home insurance don't cover damages caused by natural disasters like

  • Earthquakes

  • Floods

  • Wildfires

  • Sinkholes

  • Landslides

If you live in an area prone to these or other types of natural disasters, it's important to review your policy carefully and talk with your insurance company to understand the extent of coverage for natural disasters. You may want to consider purchasing endorsements or separate policies for adequate protection.


My neighbor's child was injured while playing on my backyard trampoline. Will my home insurance cover medical expenses or costs related to a lawsuit?

Trampoline related accidents won't be covered if your home insurance excludes trampolines.

Some home insurance policies cover injuries caused by a trampoline, but only with specific conditions that must be met. For example, your insurance company may require

  • A fence or safety net is around the trampoline

  • The trampoline is placed on a soft surface to help prevent serious injuries

If you need additional protection, you may want to consider umbrella insurance which can help pay for legal expenses that a standard home insurance policy may not cover.

If my house is robbed, will my home insurance cover my personal property and damage done to my home due to the theft?

Yes, homeowners insurance can help cover losses due to a theft. Homeowners insurance covers things like

  • Stolen personal property

  • Cost to repair damages due to a break-in, like damaged locks, door, and window frames

Please note, the amount of coverage you have depends on your policy limits and the type of coverage you have.

Some items like jewelry, collectibles, art, tools, musical instruments, and firearms can have different limits. This means these items may not be covered up to the full amount of your limits.

For example, you have a personal property limit of $300,000, but a sub-limit of $1,500 for stolen tools. If your tools are stolen or damaged they'll only be covered up to $1,500.

If you need more coverage for valuable items, ask your insurance company about additional insurance. This can help ensure you have the right coverage for your needs.

What exclusions are in are in my homeowners policy?

The best way to find out what's excluded in your homeowners policy is to check your policy contract. You can also contact your insurance company for help.

At Liberty Mutual, we're here to help you with homeowners insurance! See how much you can save on homeowners insurance with Liberty Mutual, when you only pay for what you need.

Start my homeowners insurance quote

How Helpful Was This Article?


Related Content

Related Products